Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The American Dream is not the gospel

Before I broach this topic, I want to be clear. I love the United States. I believe it is still the best place to live in the world and her original values were clearly based upon the truths of God's word. However, I think some folks are confused about a few things. I think that because of the conservative movement the American Dream principals have slowly supplanted the true gospel message. I am not saying that conservatism is bad. I am saying that just because it is conservative does not make it Christian. OK here is a recap of the gospel. God created man for Himself to love and be glorified. Man sinned through disobedience and broke the holy relationship. God sent Jesus to die (and to be resurrected) the death man should have died for the benefit of all men who believe and the holy relationship with God was restored through Jesus. This is truly good news! (gospel means good news) Through Christ we are set free from bondage to sin and we are wrenched away from Satan's kingdom and we are now in God's family. This is the best possible news anyone could ever hear. However in the American culture many have replaced the true gospel with a message of morality, freedom and the pursuit of happiness. They are not the same. While all of those things are not necessarily bad, it is not the gospel. The gospel is the simple, radical, transforming and powerful truth about Jesus Christ. So be careful not to blend these ideas in your mind.

The hope of America is not the American dream of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, it is the gospel.

John 14
The Way, the Truth, and the Life 1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

No comments: