Monday, May 4, 2009

Psalm 62: The wrong way

As Christians our purpose, worth and value as people comes directly from our God. More specifically it comes from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. When we look to other places to fullfill this role in our lives things get really out of whack. For men we most commonly look to work for this. For women it may come from her children, husband or anywhere she serves others. These things are very important but these things are not a strong foundation to build your life upon. They will let you down. What happens if you get fired or your kid tells you they hate you, or your husband divorces you? Your world comes crashing down. However, if we build our house upon the rock (Jesus) our foundation can never crumble.

I used to be a serious work-a-holic, but after doing that for a long time it destroyed my relationship with God and my wife. I was doing a good thing but work became my Lord. In the crises that followed I had to choose to re-order my life and put God as my God instead of work. This was not an easy choice or process because I was getting the accolades at work. At home... not so much. With God's direction and strength, Over time I did look to Him to be my rock and refuge. It was not quick or easy. I had to repair years of relational neglect.

It took several years to nurture and develop my relationship with Him (and my family). In the end God has brought and continues to bring miraculous restoration and beauty into my life and my marraige. (Thank you Lord!)

In psalm 62 it talks about looking to God to be our salvation, our fortress our hope our rock and our fortress. We need this to live in the very harsh world we live in. Look at the original version and then check out the one that I modified and replaced God with something else. An I ask the question. What are you putting in that place?

The real psalm 62:1-8
My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. How long will you assault a man? Would all of you throw him down-this leaning wall, this tottering fence? They fully intend to topple him from his lofty place; they take delight in lies. With their mouths they bless, but in their hearts they curse. Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God ; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.

psalm 62-The wrong way (I love verse 8)
My soul finds rest in my job alone; my salvation comes from it. My job alone is my rock and my salvation; it is my fortress, I will never be shaken. How long will you assault a man? Would all of you throw him down— this leaning wall, this tottering fence? They fully intend to topple him from his lofty place; they take delight in lies. With their mouths they bless, but in their hearts they curse. Find rest, O my soul, in my job alone; my hope comes from it. My job alone is my rock and my salvation; it is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on My job;it is my mighty rock, my refuge.
8 Trust in your job at all times, O people; pour out your hearts for it, for our job is your refuge.

No comments: