Sunday, March 1, 2009

Spiritual Forgetfulness; The Importance of Journaling

It is amazing to me the things that I can forget. I have had many life events that at the time were very significant, yet now I look back and they are now gone from my memory. This has also been very true for my spiritual journey. I have experienced tremendous life changing things with God. I have been blessed with many significant breakthroughs, revelations and miraculous events, yet when I look back most of them are completely gone for my memory.

This is why I recommend Journaling!

The first few years of my new found relationship with God, I did not document much of it. I was flying high and loving it and I know a lot happened, but unfortunately I have lost a lot of those memories. When I did finally begin to journal I asked God to bring to recollection some of those early and undocumented events. By His grace He did help me to write down some of the key memories. Many are lost forever. To make it clear, I was never a hard line every day journal guy. I was more focused on writing down the significant events, like an inner healing or a revelation, a Word from God, or a spiritual breakthrough. This wasn't a bad approach. it wasnt a huge burdan and at least the big things were not lost. I was also pretty good about documenting my periodic struggles when I had them. However, last year out of laziness, I stopped writing in it altogether.

I do believe that when I got lazy about my journal this last year that it affected my spiritual growth rate. I had stopped writing my struggles and the questions I had in my heart and I had stopped documenting the things God was doing in me. Because of this I believe my heart and spirit began to get distracted and my prayer life was fragmented.

Recently the Lord challenged me to begin journaling again. This time as a daily habit. He conveyed to me that when I bring my journal into my time with Him that I come expecting to hear from Him (and this was something he wanted). It helps to keep me focused and on track in my prayers. It also helps me to come into partnership with God as he reveals the areas he wants to work on in me. It also helps me to remember to acknowledge daily all that God is doing for me.

I am so grateful for all the things I have written down over the years. When I am feeling sorry for myself or simply need a boost, I will go read my old journal entries and remember all the times that God has intervened on my behalf. This always encourages me. I am reminded of all the done great and wonderful things that he has done for me in the past and it renews my faith and confidence that he will do it again.

A journal a precious gift. It is your testimony of your God's love and it is the story of your spiritual life. That is why I am telling all of you who are pursuing God seriuosly that a journal is not an option. It is a mandatory resource for those wanting to grow in the things of God.


Remember what God has done and to give Him thanks and praise for his love and grace.

Deuteronomy 7:17-19
You may say to yourselves, "These nations are stronger than we are. How can we drive them out?" But do not be afraid of them; remember well what the LORD your God did to Pharaoh and to all Egypt. You saw with your own eyes the great trials, the miraculous signs and wonders, the mighty hand and outstretched arm, with which the LORD your God brought you out. The LORD your God will do the same to all the peoples you now fear.

1 comment:

Joe Burchett said...

I can testify to forgetting key events, I wish I would have been keeping journal of key moments with God during Impact but I didn't. Just like you one morning I felt led to just write down all I could remember about that 3 year period and I am sure God helped bring things back to my memory.